Attorney Tim Bottaro is a graduate of Creighton University (B.A. 1981) and the University of Iowa (J.D. 1983 With Distinction). He is admitted to practice law in the United States Appellate Court (8th Circuit) and United States Federal Court, as well as Iowa state courts. Tim handles primarily personal injury cases, such as car accidents, motorcycle accidents, semi accidents, bicycle accidents, pedestrian injury accidents, wrongful death claims, construction accidents, dram shop suits (vs. establishments who serve alcohol), slip and falls, and animal bites. He also handles insurance litigation and general litigation matters. With Tim, your consultation is always free!
In 2014-2016, Tim spoke to over 2,000 lawyers and their staff and traveled to Kansas and South Dakota to teach Iowa’s new Expedited Civil Actions (ECA) procedure. He was one of twelve members serving on a Supreme Court Task Force charged with creating this system. After countless hours and meetings, the Iowa Supreme Court accepted the Task Force’s proposal with few changes. Iowa’s ECA system is believed to be one of the most utilized types in the country. Tim feels his service in creating Iowa’s ECA system will be a part of his legacy to Iowa’s civil justice system. Tim has also been appointed to serve on a Supreme Court Advisory Committee, which reviews and recommends changes to the Iowa Rules of Civil Procedure relating to how cases progress through the court system.
Tim has been involved in the Iowa Association for Justice (IAJ) for many, many years. The IAJ is the largest organization of plaintiff’s personal injury attorneys in the State of Iowa. He was elected President of the IAJ in 2017. Prior to this honor, he served in all four of the other officer positions with the IAJ. Tim has received several awards from the IAJ. As a result of Tim’s work with the ECA, he received the highest honor the IAJ bestows: the Verne Lawyer Outstanding Member Award. In 2010, Tim was honored with the IAJ’s Key Person Award for his work as Chair of the Iowa Legislative Committee – a position he has held for over a decade. This Committee monitors every proposed bill introduced in the Iowa Legislature to look for those that might take away the rights of Iowans injured by the actions of others. The Committee also proposes pro-justice laws and lobbies elected officials.
Tim became a member of the Iowa Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) in 2017. In order to become a member, he had to be nominated by another member after first trying a certain number of cases before a jury. He will serve as President of the ABOTA Iowa Chapter in 2021. Tim serves on the Third Judicial District Nominating Commission, which is responsible for interviewing candidates to fill judicial vacancies. Nominees are then selected from the candidates based on merit, and their names are forwarded to the Governor. Tim is also a member of the Iowa State Bar Association and was the recipient of their 1st Annual Community Service Award. In addition, Tim serves on the board of a number of charitable, community, and political organizations.
Tim is a longtime Siouxland area resident and wholeheartedly supports all of our local music, acting, and other programs for the arts. He is a big believer in health and fitness and loves to debate everything to do with politics. He can often be found scheming ways to prank his partners and staff, who sometimes manage to get him back. All jokes aside, Tim’s hunger for justice is unmatched. He will strive to set things right for you!
- Iowa Supreme Court Advisory Committee Concerning Certain Civil Justice Task Force Recommendations
- Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Iowa Rules of Civil Procedure
- Iowa Civil Justice Reform Task Force
- Iowa Association for Justice f/k/a Iowa Trial Lawyers Association (2002-present): President (2017), President-elect (2016), 1stP. (2015), V.P. for Membership Services (2014), Parliamentarian (2013), Legislative Committee Chair (2006-present)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (Iowa Chapter), President (2021)
- Woodbury County Bar Association
- Third Judicial District Nominating Commission
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Iowa Legal Aid Local Advisory Council, Member
- Law School: University of Iowa (J.D., with distinction, 1983)
- College: Creighton University (B.A., 1981)
- Sioux City Events Facilities and Tourism Advisory Board, Member
- Sioux City Public Library Foundation, Vice President and past President
- Woodbury County Democratic Party
- Iowa State Democratic Party
- Sioux City Museum and Historical Association, past Member
- Sioux City Public Library Board of Trustees, past President and Member
- Holy Spirit Retirement Center Board, past Vice President and Member
- Sioux City Calvary Cemetery Board, past Member
- Sioux City International Film Festival, past President and Founding Member
- KWIT-KOJI Public Radio, past Member
- Sioux City Community Theatre Board of Directors, past Member
- IAJ Foundation for Justice, past Member
- Iowa Association for Justice (IAJ) f/k/a Iowa Trial Lawyers Association 2013
- Verne Lawyer Outstanding Member Award (highest award given; IAJ Key Person Award (2010)
- 1st Annual Iowa State Bar Association Community Service Award
- 2009 Service Award as President and Board Member of Bishop Heelan Catholic School System
- 2002 Sioux City Public Museum Tom Peterson Award
- 1998 Sioux City Public Library Pearl Award
- 1983, Iowa and U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa
- 1984, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
|Recent Blog Posts|
|What You Should Do if You Are in an Accident|