Personal Injury/Wrongful Death

Our lawyers handle a variety of personal injury and wrongful death cases including motorcycle collisions, car crashes, truck and semi-truck accidents, wrongful death claims, dram shop cases, animal bites, slip and falls, construction accidents and various product liability claims. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.

Noteworthy Cases

Some of the noteworthy cases of our personal injury attorneys include:

  • Representation of a Salix, Iowa man who sued Woodbury County after he was left paralyzed in a motorcycle accident attributed to loose gravel on a county black top. The suit was settled when Woodbury County agreed to pay $2 million to our client.
  • Representation of Security National Bank as the conservator for a Siouxland infant who suffered brain damage following ingestion of e. sakazaki bacteria/cronobacter alleged to have come from contaminated powdered infant formula.
  • Representation of former patients of Siouxland Urology who tested positive for Hepatitis C following the clinic’s improper re-use of single use saline bags and tubing and failure to properly sterilize medical equipment.
  • Representation of multiple parties who were injured or killed in the Terra explosion of 1994. Our attorneys were able to negotiate a confidential settlement amount in the seven figures for our clients.
  • Representation of an injured party in a head on semi-truck collision case where our client sustained multiple burn injuries. Our attorneys vigorously represented our client and recovered $2.1 million.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes.  No matter how minor the crash, failing to stop at the scene may subject you to criminal prosecution, even if the accident was not your fault.  The punishment for such an offense may include a fine and jail time.  The fines and prison confinement may increase significantly if a person was killed in the accident. If you are involved in a motor vehicle collision, stop as close to the accident scene as possible without blocking traffic or putting yourself or others in harms way.  If possible, request someone warn approaching vehicles, such as, through the use flares, reflectors, traffic cones, flashlights or hazard signals.
Immediately determine if anyone is injured, and if so, do not move the injured person.  As soon as possible, call or direct someone to call emergency “911.”  If the collision is very minor, you may not need to contact law enforcement or law enforcement may determine an investigation is not necessary.  If someone is injured, or if there is more than $1,000 in property damage, you must file an accident report with the Iowa Department of Transportation.  The appropriate forms can be obtained from law enforcement or from the Iowa Department of Transportation.  The Report must be filed within 72 hours of the accident, or your driver’s license may be suspended.  If law enforcement are present to investigation the crash, tell the officers what you observed.  Do not admit fault at this point, as the excitement of the moment may cloud your judgment and perceptions.  Also, make sure you write down the other driver’s name, address, car license, driver’s license and auto insurance information. Be prepared to provide the same information to the other driver. Be sure to record the names, addresses and telephone numbers of people who witnessed the collision or events before, during or after the collision. The individuals include: passengers in the other involved vehicles, pedestrians, residents, construction workers, and employees from businesses located at the scene.  Finally, be sure to obtain the investigating officer’s name and badge number.
YES.  Notify your automobile insurance agent or company immediately and cooperate with your insurance representatives in their investigation.  The other driver’s insurance company may contact you and request that you give a statement.  This is not unusual; however, a lawyer may be helpful at this point in giving your statement, if you choose to hire one. When giving your statement, the most important thing to remember is to be honest and truthful and relay only what your observations were. Do not give your opinions as to the cause of the accident or whose fault it was.
If you are uncertain as to your legal rights regarding any property damage and personal injuries incurred in the motor vehicle collision, you should consult a lawyer.  A personal injury lawyer can assist you in assessing whether an offer to resolve bodily injury and property damages is fair and reasonable.  The reasonableness of the settlement offer depends upon the type and serious of your injuries, the probability of any future complications of those injuries, how much you were at fault in causing the crash, and a multitude of other facts.